St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church, Quebec City, QC
Église Presbytérienne St. Andrew's, Québec, QC

Copyright 2023   Église Presbytérienne St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church, Québec, QC, Canada.

History / Histoire

St. Andrew's Stained Glass
Les vitraux de St. Andrew's

St. Andrew's Stained Glass

The windows of the church provide a fine example of 19th century stained glass. Only two of the windows, located in the ceiling, are of the 20th century. The four corner windows of the church which are shown first are the original ones. Deceptive in their seeming simplicity, we observe the complexity of Celtic scroll work along with the St. Andrew's cross in the middle of some of the circles. The circle motif in Celtic scroll work is taken by most observers to be a symbol of eternity, that is without beginning or end, and hence the symbol of God. Many will enjoy trying to decipher the meaning of the symbols in these windows.

 

Les vitraux de St. Andrew's

Les fenêtres de l'église sont un bel exemple de vitrail du 19ème siècle. Seulement deux des fenêtres, situées dans le plafond, sont du 20ème siècle. Les fenêtres aux quatre coins de l'église (premières photos) sont celles d'origine. Malgré leur apparente simplicité, nous pouvons remarquer une certaine complexité dans le détail des volutes celtiques ainsi que la présence de la croix de Saint-André au milieu de certains des cercles. Ce motif récurrent de cercles est interprété par la plupart des observateurs comme un symbole de l'éternité, qui est sans commencement ni fin, et est donc le symbole de Dieu. Certains auront du plaisir à essayer de déchiffrer la signification de ces symboles.

A brief history of St. Andrew's Quebec

Historical Highlights

This congregation had its beginning with the beloved Chaplain, Rev. Robert MacPherson and soldiers of the famous Fraser Highlanders of Wolfe's Army in 1759.

 

With the Peace Treaty of 1763, and the coming of merchants from Scotland and New England, the congregation soon assumed civilian status and was known as the Scotch Congregation - in connection with the Church of Scotland.

 

In 1802, in response to a petition signed by 148 persons, the present Church site was granted by His Majesty George III, although it was not until 1809 that construction began.

 

The long-contemplated Church was dedicated on November 30th, 1810, on St. Andrew's day, and appropriately named after the apostle. Besides the addition of the Vestry in 1900, the building remained virtually unchanged until the 2020 renovations. 

 

On the same triangular site with the church are the Kirk Hall, first erected in 1829 as a Protestant School which continued as a flourishing scholastic institution for many years; and the magnificent Manse, erected in 1837, which has been the residence of the ministers until May 2017.

L'histoire de St. Andrew's Québec en bref

Faits saillants 

Cette congrégation a fait ses débuts avec le bien-aimé aumônier, le révérend Robert MacPherson et soldats des célèbres Fraser Highlanders de l'armée de Wolfe en 1759.

 

Avec le Traité de paix de 1763, et la venue des marchands de l'Écosse et de la Nouvelle-Angleterre, la congrégation prit bientôt un statut civil et était connue comme la Congrégation Scotch - dans le cadre de l'Église d'Écosse.

 

En 1802, en réponse à une pétition signée par 148 personnes, le site actuel de l'Église a été accordé par Sa Majesté George III, bien que ce ne fut qu'en 1809 qu'ait commencé la construction.

 

L'Église fut enfin consacrée le 30 Novembre 1810, le jour de la Saint-André. À part l'ajout de la sacristie en 1900, le bâtiment est resté pratiquement inchangé jusqu'en 2020 ou des rénovations majeures ont lieu.

 

Sur le même site triangulaire que l'église se trouve le Kirk Hall, érigé en 1829 comme école protestante, puis comme institution scolaire florissante pendant de nombreuses années; et la magnifique Manse, érigée en 1837, qui a été la résidence des pasteurs jusqu'en mai 2017.

St. Andrew's Ministers /
Pasteurs de St. Andrew's

 

Robert MacPherson,
1759-1765+

 

George Henry, 1765-1784

 

Alexander Spark, DD,
1784-1819

 

James Harkness, DD,
1820-1835+

 

John Cook, DD, LLD
1836-1883, Moderator of the first General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church in Canada, June 1875.

 

Andrew Tannahill Love, DD,
1884-1925

 

Alexander M. Gordon, DD,
1926-1941

 

Harold W. Reid, DD,
1941-1945

 

Donald Mackay, DD,
1945-1950

 

Wilfred Butcher, DD,
1951-1964

 

Edward Bragg, DD,
1964-1977

 

P. Lyle Sams, 1979-1990

 

Donald J.M. Corbett, PhD 1991+, former Principal of Knox College.

 

Mrs. Tamiko Nakamura Corbett, Diaconal Minister, 1992-1993, Moderator of the Presbyterian Church in Canada's General Assembly, 1996.

 

Ronald H. Balston,
1993-1996

 

Scott Emery, 1996-2000

 

Bradley Nelson (Interim Minister), 2001-2003

 

Stephen A. Hayes, DD,
2004-2009

 

Katherine Burgess, DMin,
2009–present

_______________________

Sacred Symbols
Symboles sacrés 

The Empty Cross of the Resurrection /
La croix de la resurrection

 

The Burning Bush / Le buisson ardent

For further study
Pour en savoir plus

If you want to go further in trying to understand the role of the Presbyterian Church in Quebec City in the early 19th Century you might be fascinated to read not only about John Cook and Alexander Spark, but also about Daniel Wilkie and Joseph Morrin in The Canadian Dictionary of Biography.

 

Si vous voulez approfondir votre connaissance du rôle de l'Église presbytérienne dans la ville de Québec au début du 19ème siècle, vous serez fasciné de lire non seulement à propos de John Cook et Alexander Spark, mais aussi sur Daniel Wilkie et Joseph Morrin dans le Dictionnaire biographique du Canada.

 

See also / Voir aussi:  Le patrimoine immatériel religieux du Québec (Quebec's Intangible Religious Heritage)

The ancient sanctuary
L'ancien sanctuaire

The interior of St. Andrew's church before the renovations of 2020. /

 

L'intérieur de l'église St. Andrew's avant les rénovations de 2020.

St. Andrew's Tartan 
Le tartan de St. Andrew's

The Tartan of St. Andrew's Quebec City was designed by David Stafford and the congregation in 2002. The golden yellow is for "our past, present and future members". Blue for the Presbyterian Church and St. Andrew's Cross. Green "our verdant surrounding hills'" Orange is the "predominant colour in the Fraser tartan of our founders". Red is for Canada. White for the snow that "characterises our Nordic winters".

 

Le tartan de St. Andrew's Quebec
a été conçu par David Stafford et la congrégation en 2002. Le jaune or est pour «nos membres passés, présents et futurs». Bleu pour l'église presbytérienne et la croix de St-André. Vert pour «nos verdoyantes collines environnantes». Orange «couleur prédominante dans le tartan Fraser de nos fondateurs». Le rouge est pour le Canada. Le blanc est pour la neige qui «caractérise nos hivers nordiques ».

Free tool and accessible to everyone

Let's go
Make your pro webpage with